Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mattel Classic Football



Our boy, Shay, turned 10 this past week. He had a ‘cash’ birthday which means you don’t give him gifts you give him cold hard cash. He’s been saving up for a Nintendo DS. It’s a hand-held little game system and it’s pretty cool I guess. But it doesn’t compare to the Mattel Classic Football game though from the 70’s. I’ll never forget the feeling I had while at church just dying to get home so I could play it. Who can forget the graphics? Little, tiny dashes going across a 3-inch black and white screen!? That’s awesome! And the sound… Bleeep, Bleeep! Truly amazing. That game was all about the thumbs. If you had quick thumbs then you were going to be a master. Games now make you use all your fingers (and toes too if you could.) There are so many buttons that’s its just over the top. Not the Classic Football. It was pure. It was simple. It was all thumbs. My brother and I played that game so much that we could actually do it with our eyes closed because we had memorized all the little moves the game would do. Which is pretty funny when you think about it… you buy the game but then you don’t even have to look at it to play. (I used to be able to have look at people and have conversations with them while playing the stupid game! Those must have been really interesting conversations.)

I’m not saying the games they have now days are bad or anything but c’mon, really, they can’t ‘hold a candle’ to the real deal like Mattel Classic Football… or Mattel Classic Basketball… did you ever play that one?! I remember…

No comments: