Friday, January 25, 2008

Uh, Yes, I'd like the Fruit of Death Please

Hey, I believe in the sovereignty of God. He's definitely in control. But don't hide behind that. I think sometimes you think that because God is in control that you don't have to do anything. Mmmmm... not exactly. I think we have lots of opportunities to guide and control our lives. (please read those with lower case 'g' and 'c').

I read this morning, Proverbs 18:21(NIV), "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

Seriously, are you eating of the fruit of life or death? Can you imagine at breakfast tomorrow sitting down at the cafe, looking over the menu and then telling the waiter, "You know, I think I'm gonna' go with the fruit of death. Yeah, that sounds good."

What do you love? What are you 'eating'? What are you talking about?

Negativity has no place in an authentic relationship. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to address issues. That has to happen. But it's your responsibility to do it with a positive 'slant'. Why? Cuz if you don't it's like eating the fruit of death. Doesn't sound good.

I can't overstate this whole concept. It's a huge deal in our society and amazingly in our churches. We have to own up to this problem. Reminds me of an old Texas saying about owning problems..

If someone calls you a horse once ignore it.
If they call you a horse again, take a look in the mirror.
If they call you a horse three times... buy a saddle

Well, I've gone from scripture to Texas sayings. I think that's far enough today.

Peace, J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true...so very true. Unless of course someone called my wife a horse. Then they would get a massive dose of negativity! Plus I think my power would transfer from my tongue to my fist.
It would also be wise not to buy your wife a saddle unless she DID have a horse.

And you know, I was out playing basketball with my 10 year old daughter. She beat me at a game of horse. She smoked me! For every shot I missed, my tongue, well...got very angry. It was of an internal dialog of course (my daughter did not dare here such words!) So I guess that I ate well at the
drive thru breakfast place of death this morning. Tonight I promise to order a huge plate of positivity (as long as they accept visa).

Jonathan Foster said...

yeah, someone calling your wife a horse changes all the rules!

thanks for the note... and the honesty...