Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Living Carelessly


The Hebrew word for trust can at times be translated as careless. (It can also be translated a few other words but I find this one particularly interesting.) Trust being synonymous with careless. Hmmm... in other words, when you are in a trusted relationship you don’t have to worry about how to take care of yourself because your friend is worried about it.

The older I get the more I realize how difficult it is to find a friend you can be careless with. Proverbs tells us to be cautious in friendship. I didn't get that so much a decade or two ago. When it was time for a friendship to dissolve or part ways it was more difficult for me. I've always said that friendships are formed for a reason, a season or life. But it's taken me a while to learn it first hand, embrace it and be prepared. Oh, and that's usually what it takes... a while... and then you learn to metabolize the friendship in a healthy way. Be energized with the good. Eliminate the bad. Ultimately keeping your eyes on Jesus, a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

8 comments:

monkwater said...

i always want to be a careless companion you can buy lunch for!

Jonathan Foster said...

I'm there for you man.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was careless the other day. I didn't see the other care while making a u-turn. The other car plowed right into me. I have always kept my eyes on Jesus, but I think I need to do a better job at keeping them on the road and live a little more cautiously. Unfortunately friends don't want to drive with me now!
Would Jesus wear a seat belt? What is the hebrew word for Gieco?

Jonathan Foster said...

yeah, there are different perspectives on being careless.

i tried trnaslating gieco at http://www.milon.co.il/ sorry, didn't work.

Liam said...

Friendships for a reason, or for a season. Yeah, seems that is the common experience. We drift in and out, we claim the common, sometimes avoid the uncommon or characteristics where we differ. There is potential hurt always in vulnerability that comes from trust.
When we set ourselves out there we don't know how to become anything but guarded, that is if our motivation is fear of rejection or hurt. Its understandable...to be cautious that is..But the rewards of friendships outweigh the potential hurt. Carelessness...never. Trust, yes, but we must be the friend to ourselves as well. Careful, proof that the friend will not betray a trust, guess it comes with time.

But, we more than anything need to know how to be that friend always.
Jesus makes it clear He is that friend and he makes it clear how we act that enables the careless need. (peace, joy, love, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness and self control)

Who would not want to be careless with someone who always responded carefully with all of these...
so, I understand about 10% of the people won't be your friend no matter what you do.

Jonathan Foster said...

Very true... more than anything we need to learn how to be that friend ourselves.

Sumer said...

Blessed to have one great friend can be carefree with and occassionally careless but what makes it work is our love for the Lord that gives our relationship resiliancy and a solid care. I find the more we share faith nad a strong friendship with ourselves and God the more that core can withstand and be used as a strong root to grow the relationship both with God and the other person. My biggest struggle is not being careless too much with myself.

Jonathan Foster said...

"careless with yourself" interesting.

thanks, sumer!