Thursday, August 09, 2007

leadership conference

(For conference photos check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/10853847@N05/show/)

So I’m at the Leadership Summit at Willow Creek Community Church in Chicago this week with my friends, Andy and Kevin. Oh, and about 60,000 people who are either here or at satellite locations around the country. (Willow is a bit bigger than discover church.) I first became aware of this church when I came here in 1990 right around the time that Willow built a service upon the theme ‘Show Me the Way’ in which they performed the song of the same name by the band Styx. I’ll never forget that moment. It changed the way I viewed church. That was the first time I really seriously thought about using the arts on that level to bridge the gap between the church and the world. And now that I think about it, that’s pretty much what I’ve been trying to do for the last 17 years… be a bridge. Of course, the only bad thing about bridges is that people walk on you. But that’s a price I’m willing to pay. What about you? What prices are you currently paying to be the bridge for someone?

No comments: